Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Fabbing a Tablet Mount

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fabbing a Tablet Mount

While I'm waiting on my new block to get honed (old one finally gave up the main bearings), I decided to complete a project I've planned for a few months now. I bought a tablet (ASUS T100TAM) and put HPTuners on it. The goal is to be able to watch a few engine/trans parameters during 1/4 mile drag passes and road course events. The project part of it was to fab a way to mount it. I used a RAM Mount RAM-B-202-UN9U X-GRIP UNIVERSAL 10" TAB HOLDER W/ BALL and RAM-B-200-1U RAM BALL SOCKET ARM FOR 1" BALLS for the actual holding of the tablet. To get it into the right position, I used a 1/2 aluminum rod (Home Depot) bent into the shape I wanted, drilled and tapped the bottom of it for an M6 bolt and made a bracket to mount to the floor right under the pass front seat bracket. I tapped a hole in the floor panel under the seat bracket for an M10x1.25 bolt to secure the bracket. The top of the Al rod had 1/4 NPT threads cut onto it to screw the ball mount onto the top. I bought some 3M hook and loop material to stabilize the upper part of the rod to the right side of the center console. I added some 3/4 inch heat shrink tubing to the Al rod and bracket to clean it up a bit for looks. The bracket is just a piece of flat 1 inch steel from Home Depot. It seems rock-solid so far but I'll have to see how it works in some hard driving.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doug Hilliard; 05-05-2015 at 08:07 PM.
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

2. Likes drumsbh, TooManyHobbies liked this post
    Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fwiw, I did a cup mount with t100. Ergo is less than perfect but works. I do plan on using the same mount with a surface pro 3.

http://grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=41452
    Last edited by jcmGT; 05-06-2015 at 07:34 AM.
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcmGT View Post
    Fwiw, I did a cup mount with t100. Ergo is less than perfect but works. I do plan on using the same mount with a surface pro 3.

http://grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=41452
    Thanks; I think I remember seeing this thread. I was after something I could use for the road course and would be out of the way for daily driving. I like the fact that it's up in the field of vision and doesn't take away any functionality (cup holder) for daily use. Btw, how did you find the functionality of the T100? Since you are going with a SurfacePro it makes me a little concerned!
    2009 Hot White G8 GT, CTS-V v1 fronts, Camaro 20's, BMR Sways, Eibach Springs, Rear Cradle bushings. GXP FE3's, BMR rear susp. Kooks 1 7/8 LT headers, RCR custom 3” exhaust, ported LSA blower, 2.38 pulley; Ported heads and TB; LS7 MAF, Racetec pistons, Scat rods, CTS-V crank; FAST 85 injectors; RCR Lunati cam: 223/238 .615/.601, 116 +2 LSA. CTS-V pump/VaporWorx cntlr. Built trans, Methanol injection. Rick Crawford built and tuned. Best 1/4 9.68 @142, 1.42 60'.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The t100 works fine for gauge display and logging, no issues. Battery life is good, processor is ample and screen bright enough. I'm of the older generation that likes larger screens. If I'm going to have a tablet in the car for any period of time, I'd use the t100. Since it's only in there when I'm playing around I'll try the surface -ergo wise, it may be too big.
    9.5 RPM (Red Passion Metallic)
    Sport /Premium
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"-Red Green

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcmGT View Post
    The t100 works fine for gauge display and logging, no issues. Battery life is good, processor is ample and screen bright enough. I'm of the older generation that likes larger screens. If I'm going to have a tablet in the car for any period of time, I'd use the t100. Since it's only in there when I'm playing around I'll try the surface -ergo wise, it may be too big.
    Great! Thanks for the thorough response!