Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Help what all could causea CEL P0446

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help what all could causea CEL P0446

Lately and more frequently my gt has been setting off a p0446 cel and was wondering what all could set this light off? I did do some research and see some are replacing the evap cannister is that the only root cause of light or code or could it also be my gas cap? I have noticed my cap seems a bit different from what it used to feel like. Any feedback is appreciated thanks
    2009 G8 GT Mods: Roto-Fab CAI, Pypes axlebacks, HSRK, LP mod, Kooks LT's 1 7/8 into 3"x-pipe, UD pulley, Circle D 2800-3000 converter, pcmforless tranny cooler, PATRICK tune. Now hope fully in the future a MAGGIE supercharger.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Try replacing the cap first. That's easy and cheap.

The canister usually sets 2 codes, I forget the specifics. It costed me $850 for the dealer to replace the canister. Others have been able to do the disconnects/connects through the wheel well.

Post Thanks / Like

My G8 has been setting the same code for about 3-4 months. Replaced the EVAP solenoid in the engine compartment Monday and no code yet. Would usually set first thing in morning.

Post Thanks / Like

I will try gas cap and EVAP Solenoid. Thanks for replies.
    2009 G8 GT Mods: Roto-Fab CAI, Pypes axlebacks, HSRK, LP mod, Kooks LT's 1 7/8 into 3"x-pipe, UD pulley, Circle D 2800-3000 converter, pcmforless tranny cooler, PATRICK tune. Now hope fully in the future a MAGGIE supercharger.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently fixed a p0446 code on my Ranger by blowing out and cycling the canister vent valve. It had crap on the seat, preventing it from fully closing, and making the system see a small evap leak. As to the G8, the vent valve is such a pain to remove, you might as well just replace it (yes, it comes separate from the canister)
    Yes for us larger guys that screw can be a pain!

08 G8 GT, IOM, Rotofab, HSRK, Kooks LTs, track pipes, Custom engine covers, catch can, radiator cover, and tranny tunnel brace. 402hp/396tq - not bad for a bolt -on car.
    8.43 1/8th; 2.01 60' - no skillz.